DSU 74

Georg Neumann GmbH, Neumann lathes, cutters, amplifiers, tape machines, microphones, and processors.
Fonotec
Site Admin

DSU 74

Post by Fonotec »

One of the unexpectedly bundled items with the Neumann SP 272 table I acquired for an extremely good price from VMS 70 disc cutting lathe operator, Dietrich Schoenemann, (of Complete Distribution and Mastering), which sports the Ash Butler ash tray and has since been modified for extra standard rack space units, and has been given the SALT Mastering sand-fill mod, was the Neumann Digital Timer, model DSU 74. Helps in timing cuts with digital display. Best of all, especially for nostalgia buffs, are the Nixie tubes used for the numerical display. They have a glowing beauty which transcends its atavistic charm, iuam... They all still work, and now I am hoping to find a way to get it counting again. (The chips are good, according the the ABI ChipMaster... Caps are good, too...) If you have information on this model, please message me or post in this thread.
Dr3d Sl3d
Site Admin

Re: DSU 74

Post by Dr3d Sl3d »

Here's a .pdf on the SP79C which mentions a digital timer. The one in the 79 console is said to have a five digit display, however. Extra nixie?

Saùde,
Dr3d Sl3d
Attachments
SP79C_Data-E.pdf
(889.11 KiB) Downloaded 2152 times
Cappin' the Rap in the M&M's...
Fonotec
Site Admin

Post by Fonotec »

Thanks to Paul Gold of SALT Mastering for sharing these scans of the DSU 74 schematics.
Attachments
DSU74-2.pdf
(5.14 MiB) Downloaded 1983 times
DSU74-1.pdf
(5.11 MiB) Downloaded 2053 times
Fonotec
Site Admin

Post by Fonotec »

Now the DSU 74 is counting. Taking it apart allowed me to tinker with the contacts. I got lucky. Now the problem has been sourced to the pushbutton which is no longer shorting the desired contacts when pushed... The cathode for numeral "5" is not illuminating on the right-most (single second) Nixie tube. I am thinking about swapping the tube from the left-most position with it... Doesn't just pull out, however. Might have to unsolder the whole socket, which would be undesired.

Fonotec
Site Admin

Post by Fonotec »

"Worked a treat." So far, have left the Nixies in place. The one on the far right doesn't illuminate the "5," and the "3" of the tens column is dim. But it's working and looks great. "Neon light... shimmering Neon light... and at the fall of night.... this city's made of light..." [ -Kraftwerk]