cable bundle lacing

Discussion of rare things not covered in other fora.
Forum rules
Only taste in good post.
Fonotec
Site Admin

cable bundle lacing

Post by Fonotec »

It's advised by NASA to bundle all cables and lace with a Marlin hitch. Have tree trunking of the bundles as big and tight as is able to be achieved without disturbing the cable wires, with branching to remote equipment where indicated. Pull down window scrolling bar to view entire drawing for lacing instructions.

dubcutter

Re: cable bundle lacing

Post by dubcutter »

interesting... do you use just normal thread, or something special... i feel like using a thin wire connected to ground would also act as a shield against interference..
Dr3d Sl3d
Site Admin

Re: cable bundle lacing

Post by Dr3d Sl3d »

Waxed line is recommended to facilitate the lacing action and, through reduced friction, to minimize risk of fraying. I have had much success with normal kite string. Unwaxed kite string doesn't fray other than at the cut off ends. When I make a splice or tie off I apply a small amount of Liquid Tape to preclude end fray. The main boon of lacing is having all wires equidistant from each other for as much of the run as possible and to avoid coiling and looping as much as possible. For shielding, the snake can be enclosed with metal tubing.

Saùde,
Dr3d Sl3d
Cappin' the Rap in the M&M's...